The 20 Most Popular Fat-Trimming Trends Right Now
Workout. Eat well. And viola! You get the body you deserve, right? As most of us know, this isn’t always the case. As much time and effort as we may put into the perfect outfit, even that can’t always do the trick. When we don’t look and feel our best, it really affects our overall happiness and well-being.
There are SO many options out there from social feeds and celeb advice to magazines and more. Here at Cynosure®, the company that developed WarmSculpting™ treatments with SculpSure® technology, we’ve done the research for you! Let’s check out the top 20 diets and workouts to choose from.
10 Diets Deemed “Doable”
- Ketogenic: High fat, low carb, and hard to not cheat on. The idea is to decrease your carb intake so much that your body goes into a state of ketosis where it burns fat instead of carbs for energy. 10% of your diet will be carbs and 80% will be from fat. But the good kind like avocado, nuts, and oil. Say bye, bye to bread, starchy veggies, oats, and fruit with this diet.1
- Paleo: Proponents say that this “caveman diet” can reduce inflammation in your bod, which is linked to cancer, diabetes, and arthritis. Bottom line, gluten is out and veggies are in.1
- Whole30: This was actually not a weight-loss diet at first, but rather an elimination diet to help people figure out what foods make them feel good (or not good). Basically, you only consume veggies, fruits, nuts, and meat for 30 days straight. So no quinoa, oats, yogurt, added sugar, honey, or … alcohol!1
- Mediterranean: Purportedly, this heart-healthy diet is rich in fruits, veggies, fish, whole grains, and healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, and avocados. Although some studies have been discredited, research shows it can reduce the risk of heart, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s disease; as well as cholesterol.3
- Plant Proteins: (Also fondly referred to as “Alt Meat”.) Think bean pastas, soy, tofu, and quinoa patties. Plant-based, nutrient-dense foods are being opted for due to health, environmental, and ethical concerns.2 For example, an Impossible Burger uses 87% less water, 96% less land, and 89% fewer greenhouse-gas emissions than it takes to produce 1,000 calories of beef.4
- Intermittent Fasting: Forget food altogether! Well, kind of. There are no restrictions to this diet except for how many hours a day you eat. The recommendation is to stick within 8-12 hours.2
- Hemp: We’re talking about the legal kind in all 50 states, of course. Hemp hearts, seeds, and oils are growing in popularity and are in everything from waffle mixes to dried pasta. The anti-inflammatory effects are feel-good ones, for sure.2
- DASH: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension was originally developed to manage blood pressure, but may also decrease the risk of diabetes and depression. Healthy food sources are encouraged here such as fruits, veggies, whole grains, skinless poultry and fish, nuts, and legumes. Meanwhile, red meat, salt, and sweets are limited.3
- Points-Based: Yes, this model is still around! But a more flexible program began in 2017 to expand food options and add in-person meetings as well as online chats to hold you accountable. The number system gives every food and drink a point value based on its nutrition. Knowing the number of points you have per day, you can do what you please with them.3
- Intuitive Eating: The “Un-Diet” diet. 80-90% of diets fail long-term and can cause body dissatisfaction, cycling of your weight, and disordered eating. This way of eating is about being tuned into your nutritional needs. Boost your awareness of consuming food and beverages by focusing on which ones make you feel healthy, rather than which ones make you lose weight.2
10 Ways to Work It
- HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training is “short bursts of high-intensity bouts of exercise followed by a short period of rest,” according to NBC News. You can do it right in your living room in 30 minutes or less!5 HIIT routines are even starting to be incorporated into Pilates and yoga classes as they’re one of the best ways to burn fat fast. You get strength training, cardio, and a full-body workout all-in-one.7
- Spin Classes: Aka indoor cycling involves a series of movements in and out of the bike seat at various intensities. You get to control your resistance, the lights are usually low, and the music is typically blasting. Even better, spin works your endurance and strength at a low impact.8
- Yoga: Specifically Power, Buti Yoga, and Yogilates in hot environments (and even outdoor goat yoga!) prove this ancient practice is still in it to win it. The physical, emotional, and mental benefits are astounding.5
- Personal Trainer: This is one of our favorite ways to work it. Simply show up and be told what to do. A trainer will make a well-rounded workout for just for you—and hold you accountable for sticking to it.7
- Group Training Classes: Feed off the energy of your workout buddies with this trend. It’s ideal for those who can’t afford a personal trainer and like a competitive aspect. Plus, 95% of people who started a weight-loss program completed it, compared to 76% who went at it alone.7
- Aerial Fitness: 30-foot ribbons suspended from the ceiling? Yes, your abs and arms will literally die for it. Aerial hoop and yoga classes have also increased in popularity thanks to their challenges of balancing, lifting, and posing in mid-air.6
- Bodyweight Training: If you guessed using your bodyweight to exercise, you’re right! Squats, push-ups, planks, and more become your go-to workouts with this trend. No equipment is needed, except for your fabulous bod.5
- Streaming Workouts: Enjoy the convenience of an instructor-led workout wherever you are. Perfect if you travel a lot or hate going to the gym. Pro tip, you’re more likely to stick to it if you have a paid online subscription versus a free YouTube video because you’re financially invested.7
- Wearable Technologies: Smart watches, fitness trackers, heart monitors, and more. Track and monitor your fitness with these helpful gadgets.5 From motivating you during a tough workout to providing feedback on the amount of sleep you get each night, they can get you that extra confidence boost needed to meet other workout goals.7
- Meditation: Don’t just work out your body, work out your mind, too! Meditation and mindfulness will help you utilize your energy in a positive way and can help with pain reduction, immune system improvement, increasing blood flow to the heart, and decreasing cortisol effects. Meditation apps are a great place to get started.7
Diet and workout-wise, this is what’s in and happening right now. However, they’re referred to as “trends” and “fads” because they come, go, and don’t always get you exactly what you want out of your body. Elevator pitch time! WarmSculpting™ treatments with the SculpSure® device is tried and true. It’s not invasive and scary like liposuction or other fat reduction procedures. And it only takes 25 minutes per treatment. While we did the research on foods and fitness, we hope you’ll do your research on this exciting way to complement all of your hard work.
The SculpSure device is a non-invasive laser body contouring system, intended to permanently eliminate fat cells through non-invasive lipolysis of the abdomen, love handles (flanks), back, inner and outer thighs, and under the chin (submental). Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed. WarmSculpting treatments are not intended for weight-loss results or for people who are obese. Mild side effects may occur, including temporary tenderness, swelling, or tissue firmness in the treatment area. Please consult with your physician to see if WarmSculpting treatments are right for you.
©2020. Cynosure, LLC. All rights reserved. Cynosure and SculpSure are registered trademarks of Cynosure, LLC. WarmSculpting is a trademark of Cynosure, LLC. Cynosure, LLC owns exclusive rights to photography. Use of photography without written permission of Cynosure is prohibited.